Tuesday, July 11, 2006

We're Jammin'.... hope you like jammin' too


Gritstone Hands!
Originally uploaded by Dr Snooks.
One of the big differences I've discovered between "inside" climbing and outside climbing on gritstone is that the nature of gritstone - lots of wide cracks, minimal jugs - requires a lot more jamming than I've been used to.

Jamming, for the uninitiated, involves putting your hand into a crack and then making a fist, so that your fist fills the crack and provides a wedge that you can use as a hold. You can also jam with just your fingers.

On our first visit to Stanage I wasn't really expecting this, and consequently I floundered on some routes (e.g. Twin Cracks, which frankly scared the wossnames out of me) that technically should be within my abilities.

This time round, however, I was forewarned and forearmed (wince), and used fist-jamming quite comfortably, just like any other technique. As a result, I led a "Severe 4a" route on my first climb of the weekend - Hiker's Crack - with a smile on my face the whole way. Jamming even felt like fun - but it sure takes it's toll on your hands...

No comments: